Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Starved

Today I fell victim to what I have already read about on multiple occasions - being hungry without vegan snacks on hand.  I headed down to school at around noon this morning with some sunflower seeds and raisins packed to eat throughout the day, but unfortunately I ate both snacks before 2:30pm (apparently I was hungry today).  Then suddenly at about 4pm the kid next to me in the lounge opened his chicken caesar salad and I realized I was starving.  And not only was I hungry, but I was about 3 seconds away from reaching across the table, knocking the guy unconscious, and running off with the chicken in his salad.  Once I realized I was about to commit battery I headed out in search of a snack and proceeded to strike out repeatedly.  A sandwich stand- can't eat there, a pasta place- can't eat there, pizza- definitely can't eat there.  Eventually I stumbled into an Au Bon Pain, which surprisingly had some options.  Fresh strawberries and vegetarian minestrone soup- yum.  Except there was pasta in the soup :( , and I only realized after I bought it.  I ended up eating around the pasta and considering it a job well done.  

I have got to remember to bring more snacks in the future.

Off to my second class-- advanced evidence.  Hopefully I won't fall asleep since I've had some dinner!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Meg,

    My coworker reads your blog and wanted me to contact you since you seem to have some questions about which foods are vegan. Below are some good resources, but after almost 10 years of being vegan I've found the best thing is to get use to reading the ingredient labels at the store and becoing a decent cook.

    - Compassion Over Killing: A DC-based vegan group that publishes a free guide to local resturaunts that are vegan freindly. www.cok.net
    - Farm Sanctuary: National group that has a great free vegan starter kit that gives you ideas about vegan foods. www.farmsanctuary.org

    In regards to your post, a lot of noodles are vegan by default - just be wary of fresh noodles and egg noodles. I hope this helps.

    - Stuart

    ReplyDelete