Thursday, September 3, 2009

Pizza Paradiso and Other News

Tuesday night I was in pizza heaven, courtesy of my new friend Chuck.  Chuck is in my LL.M. program, just moved from Cali, and is also into exploring the District and checking out new places.  He has been talking about a pizza place called Pizza Paradiso so when we got out of class early on Tuesday evening we headed down to check it out.  Although I had already resigned myself to having a drink and nothing else since pizza is a pretty big vegan faux pas, they had vegan pizza!!! And I'm not just saying that it was pizza dough w/o eggs with nothing but vegetables on it.  They had soy mozzarella cheese also, and it tasted awesome!!  The pizza dough was also whole-wheat, making it even healthier!  


On a negative note, the pizza dough was made with honey.  Until about 24 hours ago I didn't even know that vegans don't eat honey, but I have recently been educated.  Unfortunately for my vegan diet, though, I'm drawing the line.  As a consequence though I am now a disgrace in the vegan culture: http://www.vegetus.org/honey/nomenclature.htm.  

To set the record straight on my whole viewpoint on the vegan diet I've been experimenting with, I am not doing this because I suddenly woke up one day and decided animals were treated horribly and I could no longer stomach the thought of meat or any type of animal product. Without a doubt, animals are treated terribly and the treatment is pretty flippin' gross, but that isn't why I'm doing this.  For me, this is a lifestyle change is more about being healthy than it is about protesting any person who has bacon and eggs for breakfast (quite frankly, I really enjoy bacon and eggs).  

I'm not sure I'm willing to fold on the vegan thing though simply because I'm not running around protesting treatment of animals and giving dirty looks to people who eat filet mignon for dinner (again something I really enjoyed prior to this new vegan diet).  I'm just switching it up and trying new things.  All aspects of the vegan diet seem extremely healthy, and I already feel more energized and awake during the days.  So from this point forth I am:

Meg-- Vegan Without A Cause

Or:

Meg-- Honey-eating, not really vegan, totally not true to veganism, wannabe vegan blogger.  

On non-vegan note, school already has me swamped, but it is definitely great!  Today I contacted a guy who graduated from my law school and now owns his own legal staffing firm here in DC.  Hopefully I'll have a chance to take him out for coffee and pick his brain on his life and how he ended up a founding partner at a DC law firm.  

Back to work!  Class in 2 1/2 hours!  

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Pizza Paradisio!! Their bean salad appetizer is my fave :)

    ReplyDelete